Saturday, April 28, 2012

So this week has been a bit different.  Thursday started off fine until the atm swallowed my debit card.  This led to a 4 1/2 journey with Abu and Ash into Famagusta (not all just walking, we also ate lunch, stopped at Abu's apartment (twice), looked at the birds in a pet shop, and got ice cream) to the bank to be told the atms in Famagusta are handled by the branch in a different city and that I would have to come back next week to get it.  This led to me missing my economics class (and a quiz).  That night had dinner at a different cafe that I accidentally stumbled upon.

Friday I was invited by the Egyptian President (my roommate Ash) and the Nigerian President to the African Students Award Ceremony.  This was an interesting event and I met several new people including two Zimbabweans who spoke perfect English and one of which had given the opening inspirational speech which was quite impressive.  Later that night I also saw my professor for my economics class who asked why I had missed class and then informed me that it most likely would not matter and that he would probably be throwing out the quiz due to a large number of students caught cheating.

Saturday I was invited by Firdavs to join in on a picnic.  So I got to wake up at 7 am (quite sure a first or maybe second on this island) to meet up with him and take a bus out into the countryside to a place called Konuk.  It was an area with a bunch of picnic tables and little chimney like structures at each for cooking and I spent the day relaxing and chatting with Firdavs and his friends.  At one point I managed to almost get the majority of the Turks to cry by acting like I did not know what the football jersey (for their favorite Turkish team) and calling it pajamas.  Sadly, I forgot my camera.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting few days. Did you see any ruins on your bus trip? You must find a way to always have your camera with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see any ruins, the bus mostly stayed along the coast line

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the bank say why the ATM ate your card? That sounds annoying. Hopefully you were able to use your cc most places in the meantime.

    You have GOT to take your camera places! Or does the world phone take pictures if you carry that?

    I was bragging about you the other day to someone and they said these are the stories and life experiences that you'll grow old talking about and remembering, so to make sure to take lots of pictures. Definitely a trip of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) ATM ate card because I did not pull it out fast enough
    2) Credit card does not work here (or anywhere in Europe). Gotta love discover
    3) World phone can barely call people. No pics or videos

    ReplyDelete