Monday, March 26, 2012

So I did not do anything exciting this weekend but did get the opportunity to figure a couple more things out.

1) Apparently my computer was not being stupid when it kept changing the time on the clock (starting Saturday).  I was convinced it was doing this because of daylights savings in the states but was under the impression such a thing did not exist outside of the USA.  Well, came to find out this morning it does exist and thankfully my roommate found out that it does, otherwise I would have been an hour late to everything for awhile.

2) Food Wise: I am getting slightly annoyed with the million different shops and the fact that each one has one item that is cheaper than anywhere else and one thing it has extra flavors or brands of.  On the positive note though, I found a new flavor of noodles (shrimp) and fresher bread that even tastes better as well as a "dessert" bread.  There are at least 3 types that I have seen so far and each is filled with something different (same idea as a donut with jelly), one with chocolate, one called cream brulee, and I am not sure about the third.  They are delicious and cheap which is a bad combination.

3) School Wise: Sadly I have confirmed that spring break does not exist when you are going to school on an island.  Instead, they put school first and to ensure everyone is prepared for their mid-terms, does well, and is not overwhelmed with having all of their tests on one day, EMU sets aside two weeks for mid-terms.  During this period we do not have lecture, you only have to worry about your mid-terms.  Seeing as I only have 3 mid-terms, I will essentially have two weeks of "studying", aka going to the beach everyday.

4) Shadowing: Shadowing is still going good and every time I see a completely new variety of cases.  For example, today included a severe case of never ending hiccups (there actually is a medicinal cure) and a student taking a course discussing a variety of diseases that he was then convinced he had (hypochondriac).

5 comments:

  1. 1. So how many hours are you ahead of us now. 8 again?

    2. Delicious and cheap=yummmm. And if each shop has different things, means you walk a lot, means you work off all those yummy sweet breads!

    3. With your description of Mid-Terms week, I suggest you request them to change the name to what it really is "A really long Spring Break."

    4.Was the hiccup case a student? Do you shadow the same Dr all the time, or are you shadowing different ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back up to 8 hours ahead, yes. All the stores are the same distance and most of them are grouped so not really, just a pain trying to remember where to go for what. Yes, it was a student and yes, the same doctor, I am not sure yet how well the other doctors speak English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny that you say that about daylight savings. I'm in Nice this week and we had a sign randomly posted two days ago that said we'd lose an hour for daylight savings that night. So essentially, I lost an hour in the states AND an hour here in Europe...I feel like I'm getting robbed!!

    The sweet bread you picture looks like the crossiants I've been eating (like its my job) here in France. Mine are chocolate. Mostly butterly, flaky soft croissant, but a small strip of chocolate through it that makes it "chocolate". Its delicious and I have it every day with tea for breakfast. Sometimes having a cheese platter too...

    The junk is growing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks a lot like a croissant but not flaky at all, bread is really soft and fluffy (which makes it even better in my opinion) but same idea with the ribbon of chocolate or whatever in it

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The junk is growing..." Whatever do you mean? Please explain.

    ReplyDelete