Wednesday, March 21, 2012

So the month of my meal plan ran out Sunday and since I was not actually saving money using it I started trying other food. I (with a lot of help from my roommate Ash) have now actually gotten food a lot closer to Turkish food (although I am told it will still change if tried in Turkey) including but not limited to:

Adana Doner: Kind of like a wrap/burrito idea.  I know of 4 kinds so far and tried 3, those being the chicken, mixed, and BBQ (different idea of BBQ here that is difficult to explain) and the one kind I have not tried being meat.  It has a mixture of peppers, tomatoes, and a bunch of other unidentifiable tastes in it and the picture of it on the side is it after being half eaten. Very good and cheap.



Mushroom Sauce Chicken: This item is very creatively named as it is a chicken breast filled with mushrooms (and sauce) and cheese after being fried.  Served with fries, rice, and salad (they do not use leaves of lettuce but like strings....it is odd), it is difficult to actually finish the entire thing.


Spicy Cheeseburger: Courtesy of Burger City (American fast food is not present due to Northern Cyprus not being recognized and the claim of the land being stolen from the Greeks), I expected a little burger without much flavor and a non-spicy spicy sauce.  The burger (although a little pricey) was worth every lira, the meat was delicious and the sauce left my mouth burning.  I also saw chicken sandwiches, steak, fajitas and other options on the menu so will definitely be revisiting Burger City.


Noodles:  I was talking to my friend Hassan one day as he was making his lunch and accidentally discovered Roka Instant Noodles, aka Ramen Noodles.  It is in every way the exact same idea: ridiculously cheap, impossible for even a guy with no cooking skills to screw up, and tastes great.  This has now become my lunch saving me a 15 minute walk (each way) to Table d'Hote (cafeteria) and 5 lunches is now cheaper than 1 lunch there.


5 comments:

  1. Wow...what a varied diet you have now! I really do expect you to cook some things for us when you get home...so hopefully Ash will teach you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW...I believe the Mushroom Sauce Chicken is on the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You realize im buying this food, not cooking it right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you are VERY intelligent....I'm sure you can make anything you buy! I'll even except the practices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post. So cool to see the food there! We had steak last night in Paris with a green sauce. Looked a little scary, but was AMAZING. Not sure exactly what it was...pesto and garlic, and.....?

    ReplyDelete