Sunday, February 19, 2012

Friday I got to sample Abu's cooking this time (I believe Yansin cooked the first time) and Abu has also decided that he will attempt to pass on some of his cooking ability to me with his remaining time at EMU. He prepared a spaghetti (absolutely amazing) of a sort (with many spices and less than normal sauce), chicken legs, and chicken pieces (not sure what they were called, just bite size pieces of flavored chicken). He had planned the meal for 5 people but several friends of theirs showed up unexpectedly and we ended up sitting 9 people around a small table (their dining table) and the food worked out perfectly somehow. This weekend I also figured out where to take my laundry (where I get to just drop it off and come back 3 hours later and have it already folded, was awesome) and then went bowling with Aytilla and Jazgulu. The main person (I assume owner) working the bowling alley went to take a ball from the lane we were on and I asked him to leave it because I was using it (by accident found a finger tip ball) and came to find out it was actually his ball. As he then saw I could actually bowl a little, he wrote random messages on our screen and even offered me a free drink if I could get different things. On the walk back to my dorm from bowling, there were two people talking in the middle of the path and as I was passing I heard one of them speak and had to turn around and ask him if he was American because of his accent. Ends up he is Egyptian (tricked first by Iraqi and now Egyptian) but spent some time going to school in America. Regardless, I talked to them for awhile and by the time I had left, I had gotten another person who could speak perfect English to offer me his assistance if I needed anything (as well as some tips on teachers).

3 comments:

  1. Global friends, how cool is that! AND, how lucky you are! Love the bowling ball story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn as much as you can about that cooking. I expect gourmet meals when you get back! yum yum!!!

    Happy to read that you're being SO outgoing and meeting so many new people. It will certainly pay off with more opportunities for awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds great bro!!! kinda excited to hear all these stories next semester when you get back!!!!

    ReplyDelete