Sunday, February 12, 2012

So I finally got to check in at 4 am after about an hour’s worth of sleep on a hard metal bench (we finally moved because the group would not shut up). I wandered around the gate area as the Duty Free Shop was huge and stretched the length of the entire gate area it appeared. This was nice as I had finished off my first pack of gum and found out my second half-full pack was stale (didn’t know gum went stale) and had to purchase more gum. Pretty sure I got ripped off as I paid more for 3 packs of gum than I did for a meal in Cyprus. Found some more comfortable seats for awhile but then got bored and wandered again until I sat in the first gate area where I could see a board (my flight had not been assigned a gate yet). There I got to watch security stare at an abandoned bag for a good 20 minutes and when I attempted to tell them it had been there awhile they ignored me because they couldn’t understand a word I said. When my gate was finally assigned I moved to that area where another security person decided I was suspicious I guess because he sat 3 seats down from me when there was only 1 other person at the gate and then proceeded to act like he was sleeping while staring at me. Unfortunately for him he is a horrible actor and I caught him at least 3 times just staring before he finally left (he was also wearing his badge although he had taken his coat off so not at all suspicious). Gate finally opened, they screened your bags again at the gate and you then sat in another lounge until it was your boarding group when we walked through door, down stairs, and onto bus that drove to plane where we lined up and waited to get on plane in the snow while I was wearing a t-shirt. While it may be 60 something in Cyprus, it was 20 something in all of Europe and my plan of staying inside airports did not work at all. Flight landed in Cyprus, I got my bags, found driver, and was driven to campus

No comments:

Post a Comment