Monday, February 13, 2012

The meal with Firdavs was very interesting. It started as my second night time trip into Famagusta except this time I went much further. He showed me a larger grocery store than what I had experienced until then, a shopping store much like what one would expect at a Walmart, and even managed to point out the Turkish version of Dollar General. I also got to go inside of a (not an old church this time) mosque and view a prayer session and see all of the beautiful architecture and artwork. At his apartment, I met his 3 roommates, all from different African countries, and experienced one of their cultural dishes. During the meal I was amazed at the depth of one of his roommates as we had conversations ranging from comedians, to religions, to different perspectives, the negative views on Islam due to terrorists, to quoting Karl Marx and things as simple as our families. The meal was interesting because it made one feel very welcome and that we were actually eating as a group, not just sitting down at a restaurant, eating quickly and leaving. The tempo was extremely relaxed and after the meal was done they simply cleared the table, replaced it with a bowl of nuts and tea for everyone and continued the conversation. Already this trip has given me experiences that are priceless that I do not think I will ever be able to forget. The feelings and thoughts I gained from this “simple” meal cannot be expressed in words. Every time I reread this I have to add another thing and I do not believe it will ever suffice.

3 comments:

  1. He is a student and assistant for the exchange program. He has been the person helping me with everything so far

    ReplyDelete