Friday, February 17, 2012

So after physics class (which only one other student from Bursa, Turkey showed up to), which the teacher did not even come to, I finally got my meal plan which starts tomorrow now. Then broke down and bought a burger at one of the little food shops that are all over campus (little wooden building that sells food and drink really cheap). She made the burger right there and then loaded it with all kinds of things (fried onions, lettuce, etc) all for only 4 Tl. Was then going to go shopping with Firdavs but he had to talk to his teacher and I just so happened to run into Abu, his Nigerian roommate, who offered to show me some stores. During our walk through town (at a very leisurely pace to enjoy the conversation) we once again had countless deep conversations ranging from his desire to impact the world (I have yet to meet another my age who matches his intellect, depth, and sincerity). The first shop we stopped had jeans for 150 Tl which was ridiculous. The next play had them for 80 Tl so I got a pair and ended up only paying 45 Tl after discounts. Then a couple shops later I found a shirt (short sleeves are not in stores yet as they still think it is winter) for another 24 Tl. After that we began walking back when I noticed a piece of colored paper coming towards me (ridiculously windy today, Abu says that means summer is near). I tried to step on it because the money here is colored and managed to push it down a drain so I saw another two pieces and managed to grab one (a 20) while Abu grabbed another from the street (a 5). We then proceeded to (with the help of 4 of his friends that just so happened to be passing by) use a piece of leftover plywood (bent in half to make pincers) to grab the other piece from the drain (there drains are shallow). All in all I spent 69 Tl and then made 45 Tl walking back. On the way to the dorm we stopped to have a cup of tea (half a lira for students) which I am actually beginning to enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're meeting new people. Sounds interesting. Just have to ask...is the tea decaf???

    ReplyDelete
  2. not really a question you ask when you dont even know the culture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are really enjoying it over there. You are spending money well. Especially since you can gain some more on your way back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm tea. Keep going with the caffeine. It makes people nicer :) This Abu guy sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete